Windows Operating system includes an Indexing service. Windows Indexing service is used to index files. It also indexes MS-Outlook PST files. Outlook PST file contains e-mails, contacts, attachments, journals, tasks, events, and similar items. It increases the overall productivity of e-mail searching. But if Outlook data file is corrupt, then Windows indexing service is not allowed. Different error messages are encountered. To handle such cases, an inbuilt Inbox repair tool can be used. Otherwise, use a third party Outlook PST repair tool to repair Outlook PST file.
Let's elaborate the above issue by considering a suitable error message. A problem is observed when you upgrade from Office 2007 to Office 2010 and search for Outlook items, such as contacts, attachments, appointments, tasks, journals, and other Outlook items. You encounter an error message:
“Instant Search encountered a problem while trying to display search results. Modifying your query may resolve this problem.”
This error message is seen when you are working on Office 2010 in Windows Vista. Your attempt to search Outlook Items fail.
Some of the causes due to which instant search cannot be done include:
1. Indexing of Outlook PST file is incomplete.
2. Faulty Windows search Installation may also lead to above problem.
3. Corruption of Outlook PST file.
To sort out above error message you need to follow some steps and repair Outlook PST file. These steps are:
1. In MS-Outlook, Check for PST Indexing. To do this, point to Tools || Options || Section Search || button Indexing Options…|| button Modify || expand Microsoft Outlook.
· Ensure that your PST file is being displayed and is selected in the list that is displayed under Microsoft Outlook. And, if your PST is not listed, recreate your Microsoft-Outlook mail profile.
· If displayed and selected, then deselect the problem file. Close the application, and after some time, restart Outlook, and again select the same PST file. After a while, if you reach the '0 items remaining' status, then things should be fine.
· Otherwise, the Index itself might be damaged. To reset it, go to, Control Panel || Indexing Options || Advanced || button Rebuild. This step will rebuild the complete Index, and will eventually solve the problem. But if all else fails, then corruption of the PST file might be causing the problem.
2. In case corruption of Outlook PST file is the reason, then it is compulsory for you to repair Outlook PST file. This can be done with the help of an inbuilt Inbox repair tool. If Inbox repair tool does not show positive results, then choose any third party Outlook PST Repair tool. These third-party Outlook PST tools help you get rid of the corruption problem. These tools have non-destructive behavior and are built with powerful scanning and repairing technology.
For more information visit: http://www.slideshare.net/mrjohnpeter/outlook-pst-repair-2010